Monday, August 24, 2009

Strange Question...

I was in a philosphical (is that what it's called?) mood yesterday, so I was thinking about some odd and deep questions. Only, problem is, I don't remember any of them except for one. My question is: Do people form their interests around how they were born, or how they were raised? For example, Was I naturally born with a love of music, or was my interest the result of my mom singing to me when I was little and teaching me music? It's probably an obvious answer to anyone else but me, so can you help me out? Oh, wait...no readers means no answer...hmmmm....JJ?

3 comments:

  1. I think people have certain interests that help them to avoid thinking too deep about real problems. Lol, random thought. Anyways, it could be from both! People take interest to things that they can understand, or are like, emotionally in-sync with. Interests also develop based on people's beliefs and expectations.
    ~MANGO~

    ReplyDelete
  2. In light of the history of thought on how interests develop, this chapter proposes a new theory of the development of interests. Called the emotion-attribution theory, this theory uses research on emotional knowledge and emotion understanding to explain the origins of interests. When people experience emotions, they generate explanations (often tacit ones) concerning the causes of the emotion. As a result, people develop stable knowledge about the kinds of events, objects, and situations that will evoke or dampen certain emotions. Interests can thus be understood in terms of people's beliefs and expectations concerning which events will be interesting and rewarding. Research on cognition and emotion can clarify the ways in which such emotional knowledge develops and changes. Some new experiments that test this model are presented, and the model is contrasted with other theories of the origins of interests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^^ From http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/oso/1746511/2006/00000001/00000001/art00009

    ReplyDelete